Wednesday, February 8, 2012

No-Kill Pixie Dust

I just cringe when I listen to interviews such as the one from Tampa yesterday, and the listen to the ridiculous discussion about how the "no-kill" philosophy is "cost effective" and as their leader states that "the costs of care get transfered from taxpayer dollars to private philanthropy".

Of course our own No-Kill Delaware added their financial insight on their Facebook page today as well stating "it's more likely to ring a bell with elected officials when we talk about saving money by getting adoption fees instead of spending money to kill animals."

I just keep wondering - Where is this fantasy world they're talking about?  I know he is down their to push the Florida Rescue Act, but hopefully there are some legislators in that state that have done a realistic fiscal analysis, and see behind the rosy picture portrayed.

I've compared the numbers over and over, and have yet to see a case where the taxpayer cost has gone down.  As I mentioned last night, if you look at Hillsborough County Florida with an intake rate of 30,000 and cost of $6.6 million, and compare to Austin TX whose intake is only 20,000 and costs $7.6 million, it's reasonable to conclude that it will cost Hillsborough another $3.3 milion and possibly more due to the densely populated area with many competing shelters.  And remember, Austin's costs are significantly increasing each year, not going down.  

I've also compared our Kent County SPCA numbers to Washoe, and can say with financial certainty that for KCSPCA to do the large increase in foster caregivers talked about in those "no-kill" communities, plus the extraordinary medical services required, the cost to taxpayers would significantly increase. 

Is there some magic pixie dust that will make the real financial analysis go away?   If so, maybe would could get some crop dusters to drop it across US neighborhoods to make the housing market sound again.  They could call the President and "save" the homes that people and their pets live in.  Wouldn't that be nice?

Pixie Dust Doesn't Really Exist??

Well, since I really don't believe that such a pixie dust exists, I'll just take a few minutes to listen to my attitude adjustment music.

For all of us that constantly listen to the childish rants from the "no-kill" community that say we are everything from "kill apologists" to "killers" to "nazis", I wanted to include one of my favorite tunes that epitomizes dealing with the divisive talk so many of us hear.  I may argue against their analysis, and disagree with their beliefs on whether it is more humane keeping animals in confinement over a long period, but I don't need to call them names.  I just turn on the song and say "Get On".  Even though it's a song based on those questioning Christian faith, I think the lyrics are also fitting for those of us who deal with the personal attacks in the animal welfare world.



Get On
Artist: Third Day
Album: Come Together
Songwriters: Anderson Samuel Tai, Avery Bradley B C, Carr David, Lee Mark D, Powell Johnny Mac

So you think you had me
Had me in your sights
I've got news for you
I'm working over time
To get away from slander
To stay away from lies
I won't listen to you criticize

Well I say
Get on, get on, get on away from me
If you're trying to bring me down
If you're trying to bring me down

And I say
Get on, get on, get on away from me
If you're trying to bring me down
If you're trying to bring me down

I've been doing some thinking
And I think you're wrong
For trying to put down
What I've been working on
So if you want to break me
You better stay away, yeah
I won't listen, no
I won't listen to you today

Well I say
Get on, get on, get on away from me
If you're trying to bring me down
If you're trying to bring me down

And I say
Get on, get on, get on away from me
If you're trying to bring me down
If you're trying to bring me down

Excuse me if I still question
Carefully all of your intentions
Well I've decided that I won't listen
Because your words only bring division

Well I say
Get on, get on, get on away from me
If you're trying to bring me down
If you're trying to bring me down

And I say
Get on, get on, get on away from me
If you're trying to bring me down
If you're trying to bring me down

Well I say
Get on, get on
Get on, get on
Well I say
Get on, get on
Get on, get on